Tuesday, September 22, 2009

About Me

I live in Namibia and grew up in Kenya.  I did study some programming at school, actually for a number of years, but it was always in Basic.  At the time I loved it, but eventually got into sports and things like that, and dropped my interest in programming.  I carried on doing well with maths and had some interest in graphic design and things like that.

But for year, till today, another interest took the lime light...nature.  I studied Nature Conservation Management before moving to Namibia in 1998 to take up tour guiding.

I started working at a lodge, and in 2003 I bought a computer and started to learn stuff.  I found a book that my wife had bought in her study years, "HTML by Example" A. Navarro & T. Stauffer, 2000, Dean Miller, USA.  It got me off to a good start.  Each day I couldn't wait to get home to dig into my book.

I started a website for a company I wanted to start...www.frantic-naturalist.com, and headed strait into the recession.  I was aiming at niche market travel, something you want to start in peak times.  Anyway, the website is still up, but sort of lost.  I did that website on a Windows machine using Frontpage, which was determined by my host.

Soon after that I discovered blogging, and created my first blog http://frantic-naturalist.blogspot.com, which, at the time of writing has over 120 posts and more than 30 people subscribed.

I also have more of a story telling blog, http://africanbushstories.blogspot.com/ which has it's theme of stories from the wilds of Africa.

Those are fun blogs, and I actually started a whole bunch more, but reduced them to those.  There was one other blog that I held on to, this one.  I was planning to eventually delete it, but I started to see that it was catching on even when I hardly had any content.  So I decided it was worth working on.

I live in Windhoek, Namibia (which is in Africa) and live with my wife and two small boys.  I still guide, but I am trying to do more to stay home, and I hope that this blog, and designing websites in general will help to contribute to that.

I use Ubuntu Linux, though I still run windows on a partition of my main computer's hard drive.  I love open source, especially since I started to learn a lot of this stuff when I had very little money to waste on it.

I also enjoy learning to fly, and it's one of my reasons to use Microsoft...I think FlightGear still needs some work to catch up with Microsoft Flight Simulator