Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Beginner Comprehensive Web Authoring Tutorial 1 An Introduction

Welcome to the Non Nerd Free Comprehensive Web Authoring Tutorial.

If you are a total beginner to the whole idea of designing a website, but would love to try it, and maybe learn it properly, then this blog is for you. I am going to take you incrementally through, step by step, from knowing nothing to deploying very clever websites on the Internet.

I will not try to pretend that I provide the best tutorial. There are many many web authoring tutorials out there. As we go along I will give lots of links so you know where I may have learned my stuff from, and so that you can choose where you want to learn. You may find that I teach one aspect better than another, and so choose to learn other things from those who teach them best...great. But this blog will depend on readership. If after a while I see that there is no real traffic, and no comments, I will can the project and assume that you found better tutorials elsewhere.

Now, what do I want to teach you. Well, if we carry on with this long enough, EVERYTHING. Let me summarize my goals:

1. Teach you what a website is, what HTML is and teach you the basic syntax of HTML. This bit is fun and easy. I will be focusing on development on HTML 5 the soon to be released version of HTML.
2. CSS - The styling of your web pages.
3. Basic JavaScript - Breath a little life into your otherwise dull pages.
4. A little about servers and uploading websites...Get what you have done so far out there.
5. More advanced JavaScript and an intro to Ajax.
6. Blogging with online content management systems, and customizing them...we'll start with blogger.
7. Move on to more complex things...PHP, Databases and on and on. At this point you will need to download a server to your computer...don't worry, it's not that scary.
8. SEO and usability...here will be preaching and stern words.
9. Perhaps, later on, we may also start with Flash.
10. We'll move into more detail on servers...now only with Apache.
11. Freelance Web Design and making a living from doing websites.
12. If we are still together, then it will be Python next,
13. And Java (which is not JavaScript.)
13. Well, it all depends on what's happening with this blog, what's happening with the world wide web, and if I am still interested, finding the time and so on.

What am I not going to teach you? Things like Dreamweaver or Frontpage. I want you to cut the code by yourself...especially in the beginning. I think you will thank me later.

What are the characteristics of my tutorials...I teach in a very simple manner...almost like I teach my kids. I love teaching and it has been a big part of how I guide.

I have been, and I am still, teaching myself these things. I am not an expert, but I do LOVE to learn and I LOVE to teach. Come along for the ride...it's going to be fun. Please leave comments, ask questions, correct me when I am wrong, and lets get to know each other through this experience.